Our guide to Japan’s Cherry Blossoms 2019 forecast will provide you with details on when and where you can view cherry blossoms in Japan.
Come March every year, Japan plays host to throngs and throngs of tourists as it transforms into a visually arresting sea of pink that blankets the country in soft, beautiful splendour. Celebrated for many years, this iconic flower holds a very prominent position in Japanese culture. With over dozens of different cherry blossom varieties blooming together for just a few short weeks a year, it’s no wonder Hanami is such an important event.
If you’re planning a trip to have your breath taken away, it’s definitely important to take note of the flowering dates, least you have the unfortunate luck of them blooming just before or after your trip.
Sure enough, the winds and weather are ever-changing, and the dates an estimate, but it’s always good to know roughly when the cherry season will hit Japan in 2019 and where best to enjoy the views.
Kyushu’s largest and one of the most populated cities in Japan, Fukuoka sees to a rich blend of mainland Asian influence due to its geographical proximity.
Best Places In Fukuoka To View Cherry Blossoms:
- Uminonakamichi Seaside Park — 811-0321 Fukuoka Prefecture, 18-25 Oaza Saitozaki, East Ward
- Fukuoka Castle Ruins – 810-0043 Fukuoka Prefecture, Jonai, Chuo Ward
Flowering Period: 18th March – 4th April
Full Bloom: 27th March – 4th April
Fukushima is home to a range of spectacular volcanic landscapes, excellent hot spring waters, prominent castles and most notably, outstanding sakura and Momiji spots.
Best Places In Fukushima To View Cherry Blossoms:
- Natsui River Senbonzakura – 963-3312 Fukushima Prefecture, Tamura-gun, Ono-machi, Natsui
- Ogawa Suwa Shrine – 979-3123 Fukushima Prefecture, Miyanoushiro-67 Ogawamachi Shioda, Iwaki
Flowering Period: 30th March – 14th April
Full Bloom: 4th April – 12th April
Unspoilt by mankind, Hokkaido attracts many outdoor nature lovers all year round, with skiers and snowboarders in winter and hikers and campers in summer.
Best Places In Hokkaido To View Cherry Blossoms:
- Noboribetsu Onsen Sakura Tunnel – Nakanoboribetsu-cho, Noboribetsu Hokkaido
- Arashiyama Koen – 071-1249 Hokkaido, Kamikawa District, Takasu, 9 Sen
Flowering Period: 1st May – 13th May
Full Bloom: 2nd May – 5th May
Located in the southwestern part of Japan, Hiroshima is rich in the natural beauty of the Inland Sea and the Chugoku mountains that characterise Japan’s landscape.
Best Places In Hiroshima To View Cherry Blossoms:
- Five Storied Pagoda – 739-0588 Hiroshima Prefecture, 419 Miyajimacho, Hatsukaichi
- Shukkei-en – 730-0014 Hiroshima Prefecture, 2-11 Kaminoboricho, Naka Ward
Flowering Period: 20th March – 5th April
Full Bloom: 28th March – 5th April
The capital of Ishikawa Prefecture, the city is filled with many historical attractions such as restored residences and districts and is home to Japan’s best landscape garden.
Best Places In Kanazawa To View Cherry Blossoms:
- Kenroku-en – 920-0936 Ishikawa Prefecture, 1 Kenrokumachi, Kanazawa
- Kanazawa Castle – 920-0937 Ishikawa Prefecture, Kanazawa, Marunouchi
Flowering Period: 29th March – 12th April
Full Bloom: 3rd April – 8th April
Kobe is the capital of the Hyogo Prefecture and the sixth largest city in Japan. It is best known for its highly-coveted Kobe beef. Besides that, it has beautiful scenic landscapes and is considered one of Japan’s most attractive cities.
Best Places In Kobe To View Cherry Blossoms:
- Egeyama Park — 3-1 Egeyama, Kobe, Hyogo perfecture
- Gokoku Shrine — 4 Chome-5-1 Shinohara Kitamachi, Nada Ward, Kobe, Hyogo Prefecture 657-0068, Japan
Flowering Period: 21st March – 7th April
Blooming Period: 29th March – 7th April
Kyoto was once the capital of Japan and is still a hotspot for tourists who are love with its beautiful landscapes as well as its gorgeous traditional Buddhist temples, imperial palaces and gardens.
Best Places In Kyoto To View Cherry Blossoms:
- Heian Shrine — Okazaki Nishitennocho, Sakyo Ward, Kyoto, Kyoto Prefecture 606-8341, Japan
- Daigoji Temple — 22 Daigohigashiojicho, Fushimi-ku, Kyoto, Kyoto Prefecture 601-1325, Japan
Flowering Period: 21st March – 3rd April
Blooming Period: 28th March – 3rd April
Nagoya is Japan’s fourth most populated city as well as the capital of the Aichi Prefecture. This in-between place between Tokyo and Kyoto is a place full of beautiful shrines as well as the Majestic Nagoya Castle.
Best Places In Nagoya To View Cherry Blossoms:
- Nagoya Castle – 1-1 Honmaru, Naka Ward, Nagoya, Aichi Prefecture 460-0031, Japan
- Nagoya Peace Park – 1-3 Heiwakoen, Chikusa Ward, Nagoya, Aichi Prefecture 464-0022, Japan
Flowering Period: 19th March – 2nd April
Blooming Period: 27th March – 2nd April
The first thought that comes to mind when one mentions Nara is their adorable free-roaming deer in Nara Park. Nara was also Japan’s capital in the 8th century, and hence, it is home to a very rich culture and history.
Best Places in Nara To View Cherry Blossoms:
- Nara Park – Nara, Nara Prefecture, Japan
- Yoshimizu-jinja Shrine – 579 Yoshinoyama, Yoshino, Yoshino District, Nara Prefecture 639-3115, Japan
Flowering Period: 22nd March – 4th April
Blooming Period: 29th March – 4th April
Osaka is Japan’s second largest metropolitan area after Tokyo and is one of the most popular cities in Japan. It is well-known for its amazing street food, culture and gorgeous scenic locations.
Best Places In Osaka To View Cherry Blossoms:
- Expo 70 Commemorative Park – 1-1 Senribanpakukoen, Suita, Osaka Prefecture 565-0826, Japan
- Osaka Castle – 1-1 Osakajo, Chuo Ward, Osaka, Osaka Prefecture 540-0002, Japan
Flowering Period: 20th March – 4th April
Blooming Period: 26th March – 4th April
Shizuoka is sometimes referred to as Japan’s Rivera and is located along the Pacific coast in the south of Chuba Region. Their most famous product here is their delicious, fragrant tea.
Best Places In Shizuoka To View Cherry Blossoms:
- Shizuoka Sengen Park – 3 Sengencho, Numazu, Shizuoka Prefecture 410-0886, Japan
- Sunpu Castle Park – 1-1 Sunpujokoen, Aoi Ward, Shizuoka, Shizuoka Prefecture 420-0855, Japan
Flowering Period: 18th March – 4th April
Blooming Period: 27th March – 4th April
Tokyo is the capital of Japan and is a fast-paced city that is the perfect balance of modern and traditional. There is so much to do in Tokyo and it offers tourists unlimited choices with regards to shopping, entertainment, culture as well as food.
Best Places In Tokyo To View Cherry Blossoms:
- Shinjuku Gyeon – 11 Naitomachi, Shinjuku, Tokyo 160-0014, Japan
- Yoyogi Park – 2-1 Yoyogikamizonocho, Shibuya, Tokyo 151-0052, Japan
Flowering Period: 15th Match – 1st April
Blooming Period: 22nd March – 1st April